WOUND MANAGEMENT FUNDAMENTALS COURSE
A Hybrid Course with Interactive Experience
This 30.0 contact hour course prepares healthcare professionals to practice evidence-based wound management with expanded skills and knowledge. Content is based on national wound management guidelines for a broad range of wounds. Start with the online coursework and then attend an instructor-led workshop.
Who Would Benefit from this Course
Health care professionals in all settings, including wound care team members, treatment nurses, staff nurses and nurse managers in acute care, long term care, ambulatory care and community-based settings.
What students say about this course…
“As a result of this class, my standard of care has been raised and I am a more proactive nurse. My assessments are more thorough, my care plans are more detailed, and I am a more confident nurse when it comes to wound care.”
“Knowing the principles for maintaining a physiological local wound environment helped me provide patients with the wound care they needed and provide my co-worker with knowledge to use for future wound encounters.”
“This was great! I learned so much and feel much more confident when it comes to wounds and treatment options for patients. Thank you!”
The course is presented in two parts:
- Online Learning: The online phase of the course is taken independently and establishes a baseline level of knowledge for each participant. All assignments are completed and submitted online and can be accessed 24/7.
- Workshop: Following the online phase, participants attend a workshop that includes additional lectures, demonstrations and skill development. Individual registrants attend a virtual workshop. Registrants employed by a co-sponsoring agency attend the workshop at their agency location and on the dates designated by the Agency Coordinator.
Course Objectives for Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the basic structure and function of the skin.
- Identify changes in the integumentary system over the life span.
- Describe effective techniques for preventing skin damage.
- Describe the normal stages of wound healing.
- Describe the impact of comorbidities on wound development and closure.
- Identify systemic factors, such as nutrition, perfusion and pathology that influence healing outcomes.
- Assess and measure wounds including venous, arterial, diabetic/neuropathic, pressure ulcers.
- Describe wound product categories.
- Demonstrate competencies in pressure ulcer staging, ankle brachial index (ABI) measurement, Semmes-Weinstein monofilament testing, application of selected compression wraps and documentation.
- Kristen Childress, DNP, ARNP, FNP-BC, CWCN-AP
Certified Wound Care Nurse; Core Faculty, Wound Management Fundamentals Course (WMFC), Continuing Nursing Education, Associate Teaching Professor, Department of Child, Family, and Population Health Nursing University of Washington School of Nursing; Seattle; Sound Clinical Associates, PLLC Gig Harbor, WA
- Patty Morrison, MDiv
Continuing Education Specialist, Manager, Wound Management Fundamentals Course
How to Register
Enrollment is open to individuals. An interactive virtual workshop will be available to participants. The fee for an individual registrant is $695.
Agency Cohort Registrant:
If you are employed by a co-sponsoring agency, you will participate in the workshop as designated by your agency. Fees vary, as agency discounts are available. You will receive instruction from an agency-designated wound care specialist. Before registering as an employee of a co-sponsoring agency, be sure to contact your designated Agency Coordinator for instructions.
2022 Course Dates:
- Spring: February 28 – April 8 / Workshop week of April 11-15, 2022
- Summer: June 27 – August 5 / Workshop week of August 8-12, 2022
- Fall: September 26 – November 4 / Workshop week of November 7-10, 2022