Foundations for School Nursing provides the most extensive preparation available in Washington State to ensure your success in the challenging but rewarding specialty of school nursing. This program is also recognized by the School Nurse Organization of Washington and has been approved by the Professional Education Standards Board (PESB) to meet the course requirement for ESA Certification.
This course runs once per year, from February to April (10 weeks total). There are 10 online modules that are to be completed independently and include quizzes, case studies, and discussion board posts. There is also a final group project with members of your hub team. Upon completion of the course, participants will receive 30 CNE hours and 30 state clock hours.
Current and prospective school nurses, as well as other professionals interested in working in schools.
After completing this course, participants will:
- Develop knowledge of pediatric individual- and population-level health issues and interventions
- Develop knowledge of managing common pediatric acute and chronic conditions in schools
- Build skills and confidence to provide evidence-based care to youth in schools
- Learn current approaches to addressing health inequities in the school setting
The course is taught within a flexible, virtual learning environment, made with busy working people in mind. Participants will have access to the online information 24/7 during the course. Students will also connect virtually in small, facilitated sessions called Hub Meetings throughout the course to synthesize their learning, discuss case studies, ask questions, share expertise, and network with colleagues. There are five meetings throughout the course, which are held on a videoconferencing platform.
- Debora Brogna Johnson, MN, RN – Course Director
- Robin Henle, MSN Ed, BSN, RN, NCSN – Course Co-Director
- Annie Hetzel, MSN, RN, NCSN
- Anne Hirsch, PhD, ARNP, FAANP, FAAN
- Kathleen H. Johnson, DNP, RN, NCSN-E, PHNA-BC, FNASN, FAAN
- Kari Lombard, DNP, PMHNP-BC
- Lynette Ondeck, MEd, BSN, RN, NCSN
- Mayumi Willgerodt, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, FNASN
- Ade Chu, PhD, MEd, RN – UW CNE, Associate Director
Registration opens annually in the Summer.
Click here to go to the 2024 registration page